Friday, December 3, 2010

Control

Zentangle Dragon

This particular piece of artwork is a Zentangle in clay.  Zentangles are wonderful designs (similar to, but not the same as, Doodling) which foster a calmness, a peace of mind while the artist is working on it.  It is a process whereby the artist does not have a preconceived idea, but rather lets the art determined the direction.  Traditionally, Zentangles are done in Pen and Ink but I felt like working in clay for this one. 

When I began this small wall hanging, I had no idea what the finished product would look like.  Imagine my surprise when it turned into a dragon's head. 

I find such happenings are common when I let go and allow the art to be itself.  I cannot help but wonder what other areas of my life work this way?  What areas are not helped by my trying to control things? 

Eastern philosophy often speaks about the futility of expecting to be able to determine the outcome.  We all have very little control over anything, even our own lives.  Perhaps the only thing which we can control is our attitudes. 

Perhaps that is the only thing we need to control.

No comments:

Post a Comment