Saturday, December 27, 2014

Compliment




I got a compliment last night that was totally unexpected.
I have a phone friend that I’ve known for about 10 years now. We occasionally see each other IRL, but mostly, it’s just on the phone. He is a bit of a hermit, no local friends except for me. But he is seriously One of the Good Guys. (No it’s not the slightest bit romantic, he really is just a friend.) 
He has traveled all over the world, especially in remote countries behind the former iron curtain where he spent time.  He never travels as a tourist but as a learner and listener.  He maintains a friendship via phone and e-mail with people all around the world. (He would hate for me to tell you, but there are several families that he helps financially, especially one in Lebanon.  He is not wealthy, he just believes in doing what he can)   
He was in Moscow shortly after the collapse of Communism and saw first-hand the devastation that happened because the USA did Not live up to it's promises to help.  He tells a story of an old man who was trying to sell his military ribbons of honor, just so he could eat.  He speaks of a Jewish woman and an Islamic man who fell in love, the horrors and the hatred they have faced because they live in the Middle East.  He knows a family in the Ukraine that has divided loyalties because of a mixed heritage.
Knowing all these folks, he has a unique perspective on what is going on in the rest of the world.
Anyway, despite all his sterling qualities, our relationship has pretty much been based on Arguing.  He is one of those folks who will take the other position, even when he actually agrees with you.   [facepalm]   
We mainly argue politics and he is terrifyingly bright (and very opinionated).  I am frequently at a disadvantage which we argue because of my Brain-fog (plus I get tired).    He makes no allowances whatsoever for my disabilities.  Bummer.

Anyway, last night out of the blue he said that he enjoys talking with me because My Logic is spot on and my Insights make him think. He likes that -- it’s just my facts that are wrong (!?!). ( he is mistaken about the facts thing. I have a good grasp of facts, he just doesn’t want to admit it because they weaken his arguments.  But of course, I Would say that.)
I was flabbergasted. 
He Never gives compliments (I think that’s the first one) and he always sounds like he thinks I am crazy when we argue. 
But my Logic is Spot On and my Insights are good.
wow

I'm whelmed.

Like I said, he is one of the Good Guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment