Saturday, November 15, 2014

Colony News




I will get to another feral profile, but first a minor update on the colony.


As you can see, most of the cats are either Black or Gray.  We only have one Yellow cat, no calicos or other coloring -- except for Prince Charming (More about him in an upcoming profile).  There are several different Tuxedo cats, both Gray and Black.  For the most part, they don't really look the same to me any more (OK, except for the triplets).  Naming them really helps to see their individuality.

Lately the colony seems to be shrinking.  I don't know if that is bad news or good news.  I used to feed around 28 or 29 twice a day.  But lately the numbers have been more around 22 or 23 twice a day with about 14 who also stop by to ask for a mid-day snack.  Sometimes they get it.

As to the shrinkage, I don't know if some cats are just moving on, or if they are getting adopted.  Or if they are running into foul play.  It could be any of those possibilities.  However, except for one very friendly kitten, it is not the friendly ones who are disappearing.  I can now pet all but about four or five of the cats.  

Several of them have decided that now that our cat-hating dog is gone, they are moving onto the porch or in the yard in various places.  Three of them came came into the house tonight (Yes, Blaze is one of the three)!  I left the door open for them, and they did come in and explore a little.   A couple of other cats look as if they may want to venture in the future, but they are still working up the courage to try.  Personally, I love it.  I love seeing the cats on the porch and I feel quite honored that some of them think my home may be a safe place for them.  It doesn't get terribly cold in this part of the world, but during the winter, nights can be very uncomfortable for those not used to the chill.  I will begin to build a few small shelters for the cats next week-end.  There is a place by my fence that has some boards leaning against it, like a lean-to.  I'm thinking of making a couple of real lean-tos to give them choices in shelter.  I am also hoping to get one of my sheds fixed up so that I can move my Mobility Scooter into it (like a garage) but also have a doorway or two for the cats to have shelter in there.

When on the porch, the cats weave in and around the dogs, with no fear and only a very little wariness about them.  Of course, two of the dogs are smaller than the cats and the third dog, Fred, is blind, but not stupid.  He knows better than to give grief to a cat he cannot see.

All in all, I am very pleased with the progress of my feline and canine family.  They are getting braver and I am honored by their trust.


The above is a picture of Chester and two of the Triplets down in front.  More Profiles to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment