Thursday, July 13, 2023

 7-13-23


 Last night I forgot to feed the night critters until after it was dark.  I prefer to go out while it is still light for many reasons, not the least of which less chance of trippage.  But I forgot until it was very dark.  

I loaded up the food bowl and cracked open the door.  Three raccoons were waiting on the deck, watching the door expectantly.  When I opened the door a little more, two of them scurried under the deck.  But there is that one lone raccoon who has decided that I am safe.  That's bad news, because humans are never safe for wildlife, especially intelligent wildlife.  I scolded him as I came out, hands full, juggling bowls of food.  I warned him of the unreasonableness of humans, how they will trap unwary critters and take them to strange and far-off places.  

He simply did not believe me, nor did he care.  He eyes were trained on mine, not on the food.  

Thee more raccoons were on the ground.  Altogether I saw at least five raccoon but maybe there were seven, all about 8 months old, no parents in sight.  They have been fed in my yard their entire life so they are all regulars but I have not been told what their names are.  They prefer to remain anonymous.  Yet they come by, several times a night, checking back to see if magically, more food has appeared.
And sometimes it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment