Wednesday, July 12, 2023

 7-12-23

                For those of you who may not know my situation, there is a large, beautiful window that looks out over the back yard, where there are several ledges that act as bird feeders.  My bed is hunkered down next to the window so I can watch the birds, squirrels, ground hogs, raccoons, and possums feeding.  It used to be a constantly crowded space, but then some feral cats moved in and my cats started finding ways out of the catio.   So we have gone from Grand Central Station to desert island, because the birds are avoiding the feeders.  All the cats have scared them away.  I keep on seeing piles of feathers and it breaks my heart.  Lately the cats have also been bringing occasional birds into the house as offerings.  Dilemma.  Does one praise the cats for the present or does one ignore the gift?  The cats are simply being cats.  Not fair to punish them for being themselves.  Yet, I miss the birds at the window.

This is the reason for catios, a safe enclosed space outdoors for cats to enjoy, while keeping the wildlife safe.  Unfortunately, my catio is not cat-proof.  They are getting out and I don’t know how.  So, for now, it has been completely shut off to them - just until I figure out How they are getting out, and then, what I need to do to stop them.

As for the ferals, bad news.  BC’s kitten died.  And BC is mourning the loss.  She cries out, looking for the kitten.  She has moved out of the yard and just comes back for food.  Good news for the birds, but her sorrow touches me deeply. 

And even so, the birds have not returned.  We still have Blue Jays, plucky, brave souls that love stealing peanuts.  Morning Doves occasionally show up.  Today I even saw a cardinal and one solitary sparrow.  Oh, how I do miss the Sparrows!  They used to arrive in huge flocks that covered all the ledges.  Now, we see maybe one or two sparrows a day.  So sad.

The next few days are supposed to be rainy and thunderstorms, so the catio will not be worked on for a while.  The indoor cats are pouting because they want to go out.  But they are too good at hunting, so, for now, they remain inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment