Tuesday, August 1, 2023

 8-1-23


As you know, I feed critters at night.  Last night I had not yet gone out with the food when I heard a scratching at the door.  I gathered everything up and expected to see BC when I opened it.  Nope, Three raccoons were sitting there, looking expectantly up at me.  I shoed them away from the door and went out with the food.

A couple of hours later, I looked out and to my surprise, I saw two baby, baby raccoons.  They could not have been even 6 weeks old.  It looked like this might have been their first outing.  But I noticed that most, if not all of the food was gone and the babies were searching for something to eat in vein.
I sighed and gathered up more food.  But when I opened the door, the little tiny babies were right there, noses to the door, ready to come inside if I allowed it.    I didn’t, and quickly just set the food down on the deck, didn’t even go outside.    They are far too friendly for their own good.

All night long I heard growling and arguing outside,    Obvious not enough food is being put out.  But I simply cannot afford to do much more.  They get dry cat food, peanuts and several slices of bread, ripped into pieces.  Plus, any tables scraps that we might have.  We even have someone in the church who drops by every few weeks with a large bag of tables scraps she collects for us.

If I could figure out how to do it, I start a GoFundMe campaign to pay for more food for the critters.  I tried this last week but there seems to be some sort of problem I can’t figure out with the web site, so that’s a no-go for now. 

Ah, and Chance, the rag-doll cat just showed up this morning outside.  Lately I have seen him at the same time each morning.  He has lasted a very long time for a feral. He must be almost 5 or 6 years old by now.  Of course he did get neutered and had all his shots before he got out.  And he is a wily guy.  Smart and good at self-protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment